Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Expect too much from love.

Taken from my personal Facebook Page, posted on May 27, 2016 





 
 
 
"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul, and makes us reach for more. That plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds."

Aside from the over-dramatized portrayal by Rachel McAdams as Allie, I always cry when I watch The Notebook. Not why you'd think, though.

Don't get me wrong...it's a beautiful story. Spurred on by the hormones, yeah...the waterworks were on full force.

I love The Notebook because it makes me think of my grandparents and great grandparents and the love, loyalty and devotion they had for one another. I miss seeing that.

My Granny and Poppa...never showing affection in public...thinking they weren't watched when Poppa took Granny's hand and they walked slowly on the deck of a ferry during their first vacation together in the history of their marriage. Their fingers gnarled with age and bodies bent and worn thin from decades of hard work, finally at their leisure together. Brought tears to my eyes. Granny found out she had cancer not too long after and died the following spring.

When my Maya was getting ready to go, she frequently was visited by my Yaya...who passed about six months before she did. She'd light up at empty space and exclaim "Oh honey!" And have a conversation with him. He waited for her and brought her home when it was her time to go. They had been married something like 70 years...

My Grandpa Henry singing to Grandma was what I thought of most frequently during this movie. Grandpa sang with a lot of love despite not always gaining the right notes. He sang anyway.

One Christmas, he wrote her this absolutely touching poem about his love for my Grandma before presenting her with a lovely strand of Mikimoto pearls she'd admired since the 50's but he'd never been able to afford. They were beautiful, but paled in comparison to the love shining in my grandparents eyes when they looked at one another after a lifetime together.

The hardest part of the movie for me is always the part where Gena Rowlands doesn't remember James Garner's character and they had to restrain her.

My Grandpa had brain cancer. He didn't remember and wasn't himself at the end...I can only imagine how scared he and my grandma were. A whole lifetime of memories...

I was blessed when I said goodbye to him that he briefly remembered who I was and I was able to tell him I loved him before he slipped away into the fog again.

This movie makes me think of my grandparents in a good way. All my grandparents. I'm humbled when I think of their lifetimes and their love. My parents too...

I may never have what they have. I have to be okay with that.

A friend says I expect too much out of love and relationships. I say I'd give it all. Just like my grandparents. Just like my parents. They are my role models. I want what they have. Not past tense.

I still want that.

I'm just realistic.

No comments: